Today is a cold wet day….bone chilling….by Alabama’s standards. It probably wouldn’t seem so cold it hadn’t rained all night. It’s 52 degrees outside and 64 degrees inside. I hate to turn on the heat because I feel like we just turned off the air. I’m going to try to talk my DH into a fire in the fireplace!
Anyway, because it’s so cold, it seemed like a perfect day to make baked oatmeal. I used a taste from recipe but changed it up a little. Here’s the Taste of Home Baked Oatmeal with my changes beside it. They showed it with milk which really didn’t work with my kids.
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used a scant cup of milk to compensate for the applesauce, but I think a full cup would have been fine.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (substituted 1 cup of applesauce – my kids love apple flavored oatmeal)
- Additional milk
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into oat mixture until blended.
- Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until set. Serve warm with milk. Yield: 9 servings.
Next time, I am going to add chopped pecans. My kitchen was a mess. I had a headache. I would have had to dig through the deep freeze, so I skipped the nuts. They would have been a great addition. Raisins would be great but my family would have rebelled. They hate cooked raisins….it’s a texture thing…brought on my a daddy who is a very picky eater.
To serve you just slice and serve. Some of my kids like it with butter and syrup on it. Some of my kids like it plain. It would be great with berries too!