All About Plants -2

We have been watching our bulbs growing and working on a myriad of worksheets thanks to Enchanted Learning.com.  It is an amazing source for projects, worksheets, project books, etc.  I love it.  It is also quite a deal at $20.00 a year.

Along with the bulbs and the paperwork, we are adding more plant projects.  Here are the kids with some of the things we will be working with today.

Our first step was to learn about the anatomy of a flower.  Hope and Will had to identify and color the parts of a flower.   The worksheet is from enchanted learning.  Have I mentioned yet they are the best.  What a great source.  This worked on reading skills and penmanship.  I love to sneak in penmanship!  Have I mentioned penmanship can drive us to tears!

Now that we know the parts, it is on to the fun part – the dissection.  It kinda made mom a bit nervous but they did great!  We used daffodils that the kids had picked earlier this week.  They were starting to wilt so we got double duty out of them.  We enjoyed their beauty on our table and then used them to understand plants better when they wilted.

Here’s Will cutting open the ovary of the plant.  We had already checked out the stamen and its parts, the pistil and its parts, as well as the leaves and the petals.

Hope is checking out the inside of the ovary and has found the ovules which if fertilized could become seeds.

Our next step was to add more experiments.  We cut up a potato and stuck it in water.  We have our fingers crossed that it will develop roots and grow a vine.  We also did the same thing with a carrot top and an avocado seed.   Hope and Will want to see some action quickly, but now we need patience.  That’s a great lesson too.  Not everything happens overnight!

Our last experiment of the day was to show how water travels up the stem to the leaves of a plant.  It was time for the tried and true celery and colored water experiment.  This one made them downright giddy.  They loved making the colored water.

Once the colored water was created, we put the celery in.  We did it two ways.  The first was just to stick a piece of celery into the colored water.  The second was to split the celery down the middle and put one side in one cup of color water and the other side in a different cup.  Here’s Will with his finished product.

Below are the final products of our afternoon of experiments.  I will definitely be looking forward to having my table back at the end of this plant study!

Friday we are making a biosphere!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s